Being a beginner at anything can suck. I was once a beginner at calisthenics and every training session was rough. This was a crucial time for me to get my training done no matter what because at this point in time, it was really easy to lose motivation. I stuck to it and it ended up paying off. The biggest thing when starting calisthenics, and really, anything in life is to simply START!
Believe me, I don’t care and no one else cares for that matter, if your pull ups are shitty or if you can’t do a muscle up yet. You’re a step ahead simply by starting and doing something. My biggest tip for people who are just getting started with calisthenics is to focus on the basic exercises and strong foundations that can help you build up properly. There’s something I like to call ‘Beginners Luck’. I use this term to describe a beginner who advances really fast! A lot of people who start in calisthenics are able to see results very quickly and thats super exciting!
If you’re reading this and are still wondering what’s the very first thing you need to do well here it goes… DROP AND GIVE ME 50!! 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, 50 jumping jacks or 50 squats. Whatever it is, stop reading this right now and go do those reps.!
Congrats!!! You just got started.! Now do that again every day for the next 7 days and you’ll see that it’ll spark something in you. Whether that something is the urge to do extra reps, to research a beginner calisthenics routine, to buy a pull up bar and start repping out, you have to use that momentum to shoot you forward.
Because I know that some people will still be wondering what’s next I want to give you a little step by step:
- Drop and give me 50! Again, yes, again!
- Look at your calendar and find 14 30-minute slots in which you can dedicate to training.
- Start today. Pick 30 minutes of your day to do a little routine that could look like this: 15 push ups, 10 squats, 15 bench dips, 10 lunges and max plank hold for x5 sets.
- Do that again tomorrow and add 2 reps every day for the next 14 days. You already setup your schedule right?
- Tell yourself over and over again that you won’t quit.
That’s how you get started with calisthenics!